2 men charged in connection with Sumter County fatal shooting

SUMTER COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD) — Two men have been arrested and charged with the January 13, 2018, killing of Jarvis Omar Rush in Sumter County.

His body was discovered in a grassy lot on East Newberry Street in Sumter about 10:30 a.m. He had been shot.

Gerquell Harris, 17, of Sumter is charged with conspiracy, accessory to attempted armed robbery and obstruction to justice.

Mario Antwan Lloyd, 26, of Sumter, is charged with conspiracy, attempted armed robbery and murder.

The men are both being held in the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Detention Center and will have first appearance hearings at 2 p.m. today at the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Detention Center.

Bonds will have to be set by a circuit court judge at a later date.

“We are certainly glad that we have arrested the men responsible for the senseless killing of Jarvis Rush,” said Sumter County Sheriff Anthony Dennis. “This was a terrible crime and there is no reason for it to have happened.” Dennis praised the work done by investigators on the case. “Our investigations team worked long hours to find the people responsible,” he said. “Their tireless efforts resulted in these arrests.” Harris was arrested late Thursday night and Lloyd was arrested early this morning, both without incident. “We are confident that these are the two men responsible,” Dennis said. However, he said this is not the end of the investigation. “We still have an ongoing investigation and there could be other arrests.” Dennis also said the community stepped up to help break the case.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s