American Red Cross assisting person in Saint Stephen after Home Fire

SAINT STEPHENS, S.C. (WCBD) – American Red Cross disaster-trained volunteers are assisting a person whose home, located on Classic Lane, was damaged by a fire this morning. The Pineville Fire Department responded to the blaze. The Red Cross is helping one adult by providing financial assistance for food, clothing, and other essentials, and comfort kits containing personal hygiene items.

 We are now entering the coldest months of the season, which means the threat of home fire deaths is still very real. When heating your home, please remember that space heaters need just that: space. Be sure they are three feet away from anything that can burn: furniture, bedding carpets, rugs, and curtains.

Children and pets should be kept away so they do not get burned. Make sure the space heater is off and unplugged before leaving a room or falling asleep. It is important to plug the space heater directly into an outlet and not an extension cord. Before you plug it in, inspect the power cord before each use.

If the cord is worn, broken or loose have the appliance professionally repaired or replace it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s