MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (WCBD) — Due to the cold weather forecast, several locations throughout the Lowcountry will serve as warming shelters.
- Mount Zion AME Church Emergency Warming Center at 5 Glebe Street
- Will serve as a warming center from January 4-6
- Showers are not available
- Hibben UMC Emergency Cold Shelter at 690 Coleman Blvd, Mt. Pleasant
- Will serve as a warming center on January 4-6.
- Showers are available with towels, soap, and shampoo furnished.
- Ridge Baptist Church of Summerville at 2168 Ridge Church Road
- Will serve as a warming center from January 3 – 6
- Community Resource Center at 116 West 2nd North St.
- Will serve as a warming center on January 4 & 5
- Hot meals, coats, hats, and transportation will be available. Please call 843-530 6473 for more information.
The doors at all locations will open at approximately 7 p.m. to receive homeless guests. Guests must leave by 7 a.m. the next morning.
No guests will be accepted after 11 p.m. unless brought by the City of Charleston Police Department, MPPD, other agencies, or due to special circumstances or advance arrangements.
The guests will be offered a safe, warm place to sleep overnight plus an evening meal and breakfast. Showers are available at some locations but not others. Guests will have access to bathrooms for their use.
For the Mount Zion warming center, a Mount Zion bus will pick up guests in Downtown Charleston starting at 4:55 p.m. at Huger Street across from Taco Boy. It will proceed to the Main Library on Calhoun Street and then Marion Square at King Street before returning to Mount Zion AME Church about 6:30 p.m. Guests will be returned to the Downtown area the next morning.
For Mount Zion guests who are Veterans, additional services will be provided through the Ralph Johnson VA Hospital, to include access to showers.
Due to the hazardous driving conditions, a Hibben bus will not pick up guests Thursday & Friday evenings nor return them. The shelter will remain open all day Friday.
There will be pick-up on Saturday in Downtown Charleston starting at 6:55 p.m. at Huger Street across from Taco Boy. It will proceed to the Main Library on Calhoun Street and then Marion Square at King Street before returning to Hibben UMC about 8 p.m.. Guests will be returned to the Downtown area the next morning.