Fire in Awendaw now extinguished; minor damage reported

Credit: Awendaw-McClellanville Consolidated Fire District

AWENDAW, S.C. (WCBD) — A reported fire at the SeWee Outpost is now out, according to the Awendaw-McClellanville Consolidated Fire District.

Crews with the Awendaw and Mount Pleasant Fire Departments and Charleston County EMS responded to the SeWee Outpost on Tuesday, May 23 at 7:28 a.m.

Credit: Awendaw-McClellanville Consolidated Fire District

Officials say when they arrived, they found a small fire inside the ceiling of the men’s restroom. It was later determined that a small electrical fire started in the restroom.

The blaze was contained to that area.

A good detection system caught the fire even before employees noticed anything, according to Fire Chief Brian Mayo.

The store will be closed for about another hour but customers are still able to purchase gas.

Keep checking counton2.com for real-time updates on this story. To get breaking news alerts, download the free News 2 App for iPhone or Android. You can also sign up for email alerts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s