MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – The City of Myrtle Beach is prohibiting parking in the Superblock area of Myrtle Beach from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. starting on Sunday, November 6th.
According to Lt. Joey Crosby with the Myrtle Beach Police Department, the restrictions are due to recent violence in the area.
Myrtle Beach City Manager, John Pedersen, told News 13 he expects the recent violence and parking restrictions to be discussed at this week’s City Council meeting.
“Unfortunately the Superblock area has experienced several acts of violence in recent months including Saturday morning’s shootings,” said Pedersen. “The common denominator has been that they all occurred in the early morning hours. The purpose of the parking restrictions is to encourage the nightclubs in this area to close by 2:00 AM to avoid similar violent incidents.”
Five people were shot at the Pure Ultra Nightclub in the early hours on Saturday, November 5.
Above is a map of the area. The Myrtle Beach Police Department also released the following information on the parking restrictions:
All public parking spaces (surface lots and parallel parking spaces) located on both sides of the following streets and interior to the area bound by:
• Broadway- Joe White Avenue to 9th North
• Broadway – 9th North to Main Street
• Main Street – Broadway to Kings Highway
• Kings Highway – Main Street to Joe White
• Includes “Superblock, surface lot 8th N and Oak St. surface lot between 8th N, Oak and Broadway, and surface lot off Broadway (east of City Hall)
• City hall, City Hall Annex (Housing Authority), and Train Depot Parking Lots
• Exceptions: Public Officials in the performance of their duties.