SUMTER, S.C. (AP) – The U.S. Justice Department says it’s reached a $1 million settlement with the former head of Tuomey Healthcare System in South Carolina for his involvement in illegal Medicare and Medicaid billings.
Department officials said in a news release Tuesday that Ralph Cox III also can’t participate in federal health care programs for four years. They say the illegal billings involved services referred by physicians with whom the hospital had improper financial relationships.
The arrangement resulted in a judgment of more than $237 million against Tuomey following a jury verdict. In October of last year, the federal government resolved its judgment against Tuomey for payments totaling more than $72 million.
The hospital was sold to Palmetto Health based in Columbia, South Carolina. Tuomey was based in Sumter.