CHARLESTON COUNTY, S.C. (WBCD) — Charleston County Government announces crews will close Mikell Drive and detour traffic on Sunday and Monday evening to install storm drain systems. Crews will also conduct nighttime lane closure on Harbor View Road for the Harbor View Road Improvements project. All work is weather permitting.
Drivers will have access to all businesses and residential properties along Mikell Drive and Harbor View Road at all times.
September 18 – September 19:
- Mikell Drive at its intersection with Harbor View Road will be closed on Sunday and Monday evening.
- The detour and road closure will only occur between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. on Sunday and between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. on Monday.
- Flagmen will be on site to control traffic.
- Message boards and detour signs will be on site to direct traffic.
September 18 – September 22:
- Nighttime lane closures will occur on Harbor View Road between Affirmation Blvd. and Mikell Drive.
- The work will occur between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Monday through Thursday nights.
- At no time will the entire roadway be blocked to traffic.
- At least one lane will remain open to traffic under flagging operations.
- Drivers traveling through the project’s construction zone are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the area at all times.
The purpose of the Harbor View Road Improvements project is to improve traffic flow and safety on Harbor View Road and to provide adequate bicycle and pedestrian facilities. The scheduled completion of the project is expected in December 2016.
The project will include the addition of a center two-way left turn lane between North Shore Drive and Affirmation Boulevard, the addition of right turn lanes at major intersections, the addition of traffic signals at Fort Sumter Drive and Mikell Drive, the construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Harbor View Road and Fort Johnson Road and the addition of pedestrian and bicycle facilities.
Visit the official website at http://roads.charlestoncounty.org for public meeting notices and up-to-date news and information about all Charleston County Transportation Sales Tax road projects. Anyone with questions about the project can call Charleston County’s Transportation Development Department at (843) 202-6140.