Minnesota officer who fatally shot Castile back on leave

Jeronimo Yanez

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot a black man during a traffic stop last month is back on administrative leave.

The city of St. Anthony released a statement Wednesday saying it decided to put Officer Jeronimo Yanez back on leave “after reviewing concerns and other feedback from the community.”

Yanez returned to work for the first time last week following the July 6 death of Philando Castile.

Yanez fatally shot the 32-year-old Castile during a traffic stop in nearby Falcon Heights. Castile’s girlfriend video streamed the shooting’s gruesome aftermath live on Facebook.

The city says Yanez’s status with the police department will be reviewed after a state investigation of the shooting is complete.

Yanez’s attorney says he was unaware of his client’s status change with the police department.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s