In just one month Team USA will come to the end of the road to Rio when the Games of the XXXI Olympiad begin with the Opening Ceremony on August 5.
Familiarize yourself now with the names, faces and athletic accomplishments of Team USA before they start the last leg of their journey toward Olympic greatness. The United States brings to Rio a team which includes the most-decorated Olympian ever, along with fresh-faced first timers ready to create their own Olympic legacies.
Here now are 10 stories to track for Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
1. Michael Phelps ends his historic Olympic career in Rio
2. Allyson Felix attempts double in track & field’s 400m and 200m
3. Can Simone Biles dominate women’s gymnastics in Rio?
4. Kerri Walsh Jennings returns with April Ross to go for fourth Olympic gold
5. Team USA’s men’s Olympic basketballroster full of first-timers
6. Justin Gatlin, Trayvon Bromell take on world’s fastest, injury could sideline Usain Bolt
7. Who will play for U.S. women’s soccer team as they go for Olympic gold #4 in a row?
8. Swimming’s Katie Ledecky might be most dominant athlete in Rio
9. Serena Williams enters Rio as singles favorite, plays for second individual Olympic gold
10. Jordan Burroughs eyes repeat gold on the mat in Rio