After a brain-eating amoeba took the life of an Ohio teen visiting North Carolina, 7 News reached out to a father who lost his son to the same infection.
Jeremy Lewis says his son, Kyle, died in August of 2010 after an infection from the water-born amoeba naegleria fowleri.
He started a foundation called Kyle Lewis Amoeba Awareness Foundation in his son’s memory.
“It’s horrible because the symptoms that this thing shows, it’s just like the flu,” Lewis said. “He had a high spiking fever, he had a really bad headache.”
Lewis is working with doctors to raise awareness for a quicker diagnosis because of how fast this infection spreads. He’s also working with hospitals, some in South Carolina, to try and keep a drug on hand to help treat these cases.
“We’re six years out, and it still feels like yesterday that we lost little man,” Lewis remembered.