FORT PIERCE, Fla. (WFLA) — Just before 6:00 a.m. Federal Investigators cleared the scene of the gunman in the Orlando Massacre, Omar Mateeen.
Agents blocked off the complex where the shooter lived and searched his apartment through the night. The complex was evacuated shortly after dawn. They worried his unit might be booby-trapped.
When investigators were finally able to get a search warrant they confirmed that no explosive devices were found. shortly after midnight residents were able to return home, but few did.
News Channel 8 was there as some residents returned home in disbelief.
“He was obviously a very hateful person. I’m just glad that nothing happened here. It’s awful it had to happen somewhere else, but it could have been really bad,” said Veronica Beers in tears. She said the FBI knocked on the door and told them to leave, without providing any other information. After watching the news she soon realized she was neighbors with the gunman, Omar Mateen.
In front of the home Monday morning appeared to be evidence of the search. A gold Toyota Camry sat with red FBI evidence tape on all of the door handles.
Inside the car were white FBI documents with “Search and Seizure Warrant” and “Omar Mateen” on them.
News Channel has learned that since 2007, Mateen worked for G4S, a private security company, as a security guard.
The FBI confirmed they investigated Mateen in 2013 and 2014. Both cases were closed after interviewing him. Despite that, he was able to obtain two firearms licenses.
The ATF also confirmed that Mateen purchased two guns within the last week.