Charleston County, SC—You might be spending more money in sales tax in the near future, but before you freak out, nothing is official yet. Charleston County leaders want to hear from you about funding roads projects.
Charleston County Council members are talking about adding an addition half penny sales tax. Council already passed one back in 2004 and with that money they completed a number of road projects. Improvements like the ones to Palmetto Commerce Pkwy, Bees Ferry Rd. Johnnie Dodds Blvd. and those currently in the works at the intersection of Folly Rd. and Camp Rd.
There are many more projects on the list that they would like to fix and that is why council members are proposing adding another half penny to your sales tax. At the end of its 25 year lifespan, the increase would total over $1 billion in transportation projects for the roads you drive. Council Chairman Elliot Summey said this addition would put some of the burden on tourists, while allowing those who live and work here to reap the benefits.
Council wants to hear from you before they vote on the changes. They’ll hold 5 public meetings across the Lowcountry so you can pick the location closest to you.
All meetings will take place from 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
• June 13, 2016 – North Charleston City Hall, 2500 City Hall Lane, North Charleston,
• June 15, 2016 – West Ashley High School, 4060 West Wildcat Blvd., Charleston
• June 20, 2016 – St. Johns High School, 1518 Main Road, Johns Island
• June 22, 2016 – Location to be determined for James Island meeting
• June 23, 2016 – Jennie Moore School, 2725 Bulrush Basket Lane, Mt. Pleasant