Police: 4 stabbed, 2 fatally at Massachusetts mall; suspect dead

TAUNTON, Mass. (WPRI) — Four people were stabbed in two separate incidents in Taunton Tuesday night. Two of the victims have since died, along with the suspect.

According to Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn, the suspect – identified as 28-year-old Arthur DaRosa – crashed his car on Myricks Street at about 7 p.m. Quinn said DaRosa then gained access to a home and stabbed two women.

One of the victims inside the home, an 80-year-old woman, succumbed to her injuries at the hospital. The second is being treated for life-threatening injuries.

Quinn said DaRosa then drove to the Silver City Galleria, where he crashed into the front of the Macy’s.

“I was at Macy’s shopping and all I heard was girls running around screaming that there was a guy and everybody started running in Macy’s, even the employees and everybody, so I started running with them,” an eyewitness said.

He assaulted several people inside the store before making his way on foot to Bertucci’s, Quinn added.

At the restaurant, Quinn said DaRosa armed himself with a knife and stabbed two more people.

“During the incident at Bertucci’s an off-duty Sheriff intervened and shot Mr. DaRosa once. Mr. DaRosa was rushed to Charlton Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead. It appears but for the actions of the Deputy Sheriff there may very well have been other victims,” explained Quinn.

The victims were transported to the hospital and one, a 56-year-old Taunton man, died from his injuries.

“Tragedy has certainly hit the city of Taunton hard here this evening,” said Mayor Thomas Hoye. “Certainly our heartfelt prayers go out to all the victims of this senseless tragedy. I’d like to thank the off-duty sheriff. If it wasn’t for his heroic actions, there could have been more loss of life here this evening.”

Police stressed there is no continuing threat to the public.

The Boston Herald spoke with DaRosa’s father and sister who said DaRosa was suicidal, depressed and that the devil was trying to make him do things. They said he spent Monday night in a psych ward, but to his family’s surprise he was released Tuesday morning.

DaRosa’s motive remains under investigation.



Keep checking counton2.com for real-time updates on this story. To get breaking news alerts, download the free News 2 App for iPhone or Android. You can also sign up for email alerts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s