The City of Charleston Police Department is reminding motorists about downtown road closures Friday night starting at 10:00pm to support the preparations for the Cooper River Bridge Run. In addition, there will also be Friday evening concerts at the Gaillard Center and at the College of Charleston’s TD Arena. Motorists are encouraged to be aware of the already announced street closures, the potential for inclement weather and to make plans accordingly.
The Police Department released a list of road closures for the Cooper River Bridge Run weekend.
Road Closures for Cooper River Bridge Run April 1-2, 2016
FRIDAY, April 1
- Hampton Park will close Friday, April 1 at 11:00AM at all entrances until 7:00PM. CRBR will coordinate with Recreation on these closures. Volunteers will be needed.
- George Street between Meeting and Anson Street will be closed at 10:00PM on Friday, April 1, until 2:00PM Saturday, April 2
- Meeting Street between George and Wentworth will close Friday, April 1, at 10:00PM. The Northbound Lane of Meeting Street from George to Calhoun will remain open; the southbound lane of Meeting Street from George to Calhoun will be closed for traffic. Traffic will be re-opened on Saturday, April 2, following Finish Line cleanup, near 2 PM.
SATURDAY, April 2
- Calhoun Street between Meeting to Anson Street will be closed to all traffic 12:00AM to 2:00PM; residential limited traffic only until 4:30AM when the road will be closed entirely.
- Calhoun Street, between King and East Bay Street, will be closed on Saturday, April 2, at 4:30AM until 2:00PM or CPD re-opens.
- George Street – East Bay Street to Anson Street from 5:00AM to 2:00PM.
- Anson Street – Calhoun to Laurens Street will be closed 4:30AM to 2:00PM
- Alexander Street from Charlotte St to George Street from 5:00AM to 2:00PM.
- Charlotte Street – Elizabeth to Meeting Street- from 5:00AM to 2:00PM
- Henrietta Street – Elizabeth to Meeting Street from 5:00AM to 2:00PM
- Elizabeth Street – Calhoun to Charlotte Street- from 5:00AM to 2:00PM
- Meeting Street from John to Wentworth will be closed @ 4:30AM with early openings happening following the RACE participants leaving the route and the route /being cleaned (EST 1130-2PM). [Wentworth and Society will flow until 07:00 unless pedestrian traffic forces early closure]
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge Wonderway Lane will be closed by CPD at 6:30AM to clear the bridge of pedestrian traffic UNTIL Bridge is re-opened following the RACE.
- Race Route and support streets will be closed at 7:00AM until the participants are finished and the roadways are cleaned (11:30-12:00) the entire Arthur Ravenel Bridge will be closed until the participants have cleared the bridge, support staff removed, barricades removed, and the bridge cleaned of any debris.
[RACE ROUTE: COLEMAN BLVD. from Houston Northcutt south through the rAVENEL bridge, RAVENEL BRIDGE , MEETING STREET FROM ROMNEY TO WOOLFE & JOHN TO HASELL, WOOLFE STREET FROM MEETING TO KING, KING STREET FROM CANNON TO HASELL, WENTWORTH STREET FROM KING TO MEETING, SOCIETY STREET FROM KING TO MEETING, GEORGE STREET FROM KNIG TO MEETING, HUTSON STREET FROM KING TO MEETING]
Traffic off King Street will be re-routed onto St. Philip Street from Spring Street and Beaufain Street.
Traffic on Cannon St will turn at St. Philip and flow north or south.
Parking in City Garages
Runners and walkers, please be aware that you will be allowed to park your vehicle overnight Friday, April 1 from 5:00 p.m. until 2:00 p.m. Saturday, April 2 in the following garages for a $5 fee!
City Parking Garage Special: Rates for Participants – $5
- This rate only applies to the following 3 parking garages:
- Visitor’s Center Parking Garage
- Aquarium Garage on Calhoun Street
- 34 St. Philip St. (Special Note: The fee will be collected at all garages upon entering the facilities.)
North Charleston Coliseum issues PARKING ALERT for Expo on Friday, April 1
Parking alert for the expo Friday evening: The North Charleston Coliseum has issued a PARKING ALERT for Friday, April 1 as all three buildings on site will be hosting events. The Charleston Area Convention Center will host the Cooper River Bridge Run Expo/Packet Pick-up from 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM. The North Charleston Coliseum will have a South Carolina Stingrays hockey game and The Phantom of the Opera will be in the North Charleston Performing Arts Center. Capacity crowds are expected for all three events.
Attendees are urged to carpool and arrive early. In addition to on site Coliseum parking lots, off-site lots and shuttles will be utilized to accommodate the crowds starting at 5:00 PM. Off-site parking lots include the Carta lot (3680 W. Montague Avenue), and the Boeing lot (International Blvd. and South Aviation Avenue). Shuttles from both off-site lots will run before and after the events. Parking is free for bridge run participants for all lots. No overnight parking allowed.
Bridge Run participants are encouraged to pick up their packets on Thursday (Noon – 8:00 PM) or Friday morning/early afternoon to avoid potential traffic congestion on Friday evening.