Platini will appeal 8-year ban, calls it a ‘true mockery’

FILE - In this Aug. 28, 2015 file photo UEFA President Michel Platini, attends the soccer Europa League draw ceremony at the Grimaldi Forum, in Monaco. Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been banned for 8 years, the FIFA ethics committee said Monday, Dec. 21, 2015. (AP Photo/Claude Paris, file)

PARIS (AP) — UEFA President Michel Platini says he will appeal his 8-year ban from football at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

In statement, Platini describes the FIFA ethics commission’s procedure against him as a “true mockery.” He said it had been “orchestrated… by governing bodies that I know well” to tarnish him.

Platini, a FIFA vice president, said his fate had been sealed before a commission hearing on Dec. 18 and that the decision was “just a pathetic manoeuver to hide a true will of taking me out of the football world.”

Along with an appeal to CAS, Platini said Monday he will also file a lawsuit in a civil court to seek damages for what he had endured since the procedure started.

The Frenchman said his “behavior has always been faultless and I’m at peace with my own conscience.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s