Some in military suspended for deadly Afghan hospital attack

FILE - In this Friday, Oct. 16, 2015, file photo, an employee of Doctors Without Borders walks inside the charred remains of their hospital after it was hit by a U.S. airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan. An investigative report on the U.S. air attack that killed more than two dozen civilians at a medical charity's hospital in northern Afghanistan last month says the crew of the attacking plane misidentified the target, believing it to be a government compound taken over by the Taliban. (Najim Rahim via AP)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. commander in Afghanistan says some of those most closely involved in the mistaken air attack on a hospital in Kunduz have been suspended from their duties.

Gen. John Campbell isn’t giving names or saying how many people have been temporarily removed from their jobs.

He said at a news conference Wednesday in the Afghanistan capital that those individuals will be subject to investigation under the military justice or administrative discipline systems.

Brig. Gen. Wilson Shoffner says some military personnel involved in the airstrike violated U.S. rules of engagement, but he’s not being more specific.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s