Charleston, SC: On Saturday, October 31, the South Carolina Aquarium will host an underwater pumpkin carving competition.
Underwater Pumpkin Carving Competition, Oct. 23 & 31st
10 a.m.: Halloween enrichment with the new Red Ruffed Lemurs
11 a.m.: Underwater pumpkin carving competition at the Great Ocean tank
1:30 p.m.: Halloween enrichment with the Bald Eagle
2 p.m.: Halloween enrichment with the River Otters
- Join the South Carolina Aquarium for a special, one-of-a-kind Halloween celebration.
- On October 23rd and 31st the Aquarium will host its annual Underwater Pumpkin Carving Competition.
- Join Aquarium divers in the Great Ocean tank and watch as they carve intricate ocean-themed designs into pumpkins, underwater!
- They will be carving the pumpkins while hundreds of animals, including sharks, and a 250-pound sea turtle swim around them
- When they finish the audience will vote on their favorite design
- The show starts at 11 a.m.
- Be sure to arrive early, and stick around after the carving competition to see some special Halloween themed-enrichment
- Enrichment is a key part of the animal care program at the South Carolina Aquarium.
- It often involves treats such as food puzzles and toys that challenges the animals and helps them maintain a level activity that’s similar to their natural behavior in the wild.