SUMMERVILLE, SC – The ribbon-cutting and dedication ceremony for the new Nexton Elementary School in Summerville will be on Monday, June 29, 2015, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at 200 Scholar Way.
The state of the art facility, designed for 900 students, will open its doors August 17.
The Berkeley County Board of Education will be dedicating the school and providing a brief tour to those in attendance.
The new state-of-the-art facilities specifics:
– Were designed for 900 students
– Measure 105,500 square feet
– Is the second prototypical design built within the school district
– Will open for students on the first day of school on Monday, August 17, 2015
Unique features include:
– A design that incorporates natural lighting throughout the building (thereby limiting utility costs)
– A two-pipe water heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system
– Plumbing, electrical and heating equipment separated from other areas, allowing for maintenance to occur during the school day with minimal interruptions to classroom instruction
– Wireless internet connection available throughout the building
– A 21st Century learning environment that includes:
o 41 regular classrooms organized so that each grade level has its own wing
o Two music rooms
o Two art rooms
o A full media center
o Two stationary computer resource labs
o Private areas for support services (including guidance)
o A large cafeteria and multi-purpose room with a stage
o Restrooms throughout the facilities with a total of 70 toilets
o A courtyard that can used as an outside classroom