CNN: Brian Williams to Stay at NBC, but Not ‘Nightly News’

HBO Hosts the New York Premiere of Girls
FILE - This April 4, 2012 file photo shows NBC News' Brian Williams, at the premiere of the HBO original series "Girls," in New York. NBC News says that Brian Williams will not return to his job as “Nightly News” anchor, but will remain anchor breaking news reports at the cable network MSNBC. Williams was suspended in February for falsely claiming he had been in a helicopter hit by enemy fire during the Iraq War. NBC launched an internal investigation that turned up other instances where Williams embellished or misrepresented his experiences, frequently during appearances on talk shows. Before his swift tumble, Williams was arguably the most powerful on-air personality in television news. Lester Holt, who has been subbing for Williams since the suspension, will take over the job full-time. (AP Photo/Starpix, Dave Allocca, File)

NBC and Williams have come to a tentative agreement that will keep Williams at the network after his six-month suspension ends in August.

The decision, described by people with knowledge of the plan, ends months of speculation that Williams could leave NBC altogether.

Williams will not be returning to the “NBC Nightly News” anchor chair, the people said. Instead he will have a new role; the details of it are unknown to all but a very small number of executives.

“No one knows anything,” one anchor at the network complained Wednesday.

But that may change very soon: NBC could make an announcement about Williams’ future on Thursday, the people with knowledge of the plan said.

The options for Williams are numerous, given that NBC News is an arm of NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast.

Inside NBC, speculation about Williams’ future has centered on MSNBC, its cable news channel, which is suffering from weak ratings. Another scenario could entail a roving reporter job, somewhat like Ann Curry’s job after she was forced off the “Today” show in 2012.

Or NBC could have a surprise up its proverbial sleeve.

In recent days, Williams’ attorney Bob Barnett has been ensconced in meetings with top NBC executives. Among the topics on the table: where, when and how Williams will express regret for the storytelling exaggerations that led to his February suspension.

Barnett and a spokesman for NBC News declined to comment on Wednesday evening.

The decision — reached by NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke and new NBC News chair Andy Lack — will come as a relief to the people that have been rooting for Williams, but will also raise questions about what exactly NBC found in its internal investigation of the anchorman.

The investigation was prompted by revelations that Williams had wrongly recounted an Iraq War mission in 2003. (Williams had said he’d been aboard a helicopter that was forced down by a rocket-propelled grenade, when in fact he had been on a different chopper.)

NBC’s investigators reportedly turned up a number of other misstatements and exaggerations. But the network hasn’t said anything about it, so it remains unclear how serious the other instances were.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s